JAIC and DSTA Forge Technology Collaboration Focusing on Humanitarian Assistance / Disaster Relief

Ahead of the Singapore Defence Technology Summit, the U.S. Department of Defense’s (DOD) Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC) and Singapore’s Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) held a multi-day technology exchange to promote collaboration around Artificial Intelligence (AI), focusing on humanitarian assistance / disaster relief (HA/DR). The Asia-Pacific is prone to natural disasters, such as … More JAIC and DSTA Forge Technology Collaboration Focusing on Humanitarian Assistance / Disaster Relief

NOAA Predicts Near-normal 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season

El Nino and warmer-than-average Atlantic help shape this season’s intensity The U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA’s  (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Climate Prediction Center is predicting that a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season is most likely this year. This outlook forecasts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% … More NOAA Predicts Near-normal 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season

UK Gov – Environment Minister Launches Major Hull Flood Alleviation Scheme

Construction of one of the biggest flood defence schemes in the country was officially launched by the Environment Minister in Hull Thursday 16 May 2019 Dr Thérèse Coffey visited the city to mark the start of work on the Environment Agency’s Humber: Hull Frontage Flood Defence Improvements. The £42 million investment in the city will … More UK Gov – Environment Minister Launches Major Hull Flood Alleviation Scheme

ACAPS Publish a New Analysis on the Impact of Cyclone Fani in India

ACAPS, (the non-profit, non-governmental independent information provider) have today published a new Analysis on the impact Cyclone Fani is having in India. On 3 May, Cyclone Fani made landfall near Puri District, bringing heavy rain to Odisha and neighbouring states, winds reaching a maximum sustained wind speed of approximately 240 km/h, and a powerful storm … More ACAPS Publish a New Analysis on the Impact of Cyclone Fani in India

Coral Reef Barriers Provide Flood Protection for More Than 18,000 People and $1.8 Billion Worth of Coastal Infrastructure and Economic Activity Annually

Today, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) released the findings of a new, in-depth study titled “Rigorously Valuing the Role of U.S. Coral Reefs in Coastal Hazard Risk Reduction,” – funded in part by the U.S. Department of the Interior’s (DOI) Office of Insular Affairs – demonstrating annual benefits of coral reefs including a flood-protection barrier for more than 18,000 coastal … More Coral Reef Barriers Provide Flood Protection for More Than 18,000 People and $1.8 Billion Worth of Coastal Infrastructure and Economic Activity Annually

Integrating Social Media into a Flood Awareness System Could Help Track Flooding in Europe

An organisation owned and operated by Cornell University, arXiv.org, have published a paper describing a prototype system that integrates social media analysis into the European Flood Awareness System (EFAS).    The authors of the report; Valerio Lorini, Carlos Castillo, Francesco Dottori, Milan Kalas, Domenco Nappo and Peter Salamon  have developed software for EFAS named Social Media for … More Integrating Social Media into a Flood Awareness System Could Help Track Flooding in Europe

State of Emergency in Ottawa after Heavy Flooding

Mayor Jim Watson has declared a state of emergency for the City of Ottawa in response to flooding along the Ottawa River. Following the declaration, the City will formally request assistance from the Province of Ontario with management of the emergency operation. Support from the Canadian military arrived in Ottawa today and members of the military … More State of Emergency in Ottawa after Heavy Flooding

Greece – Crete Hit by 3rd Wave of Flash Flooding

Heavy rain fell in parts of Greece over the weekend 05 to 07 April, 2019, causing some flash flooding, in particular on the islands of Rhodes and Crete. This is the third wave of flash flooding to affect Crete since mid-February, as reported by FloodList The Fire Service reported that from 05 to 07 April they rescued … More Greece – Crete Hit by 3rd Wave of Flash Flooding

Cyclone Idai Update: 270,000 People Affected in Zimbabwe

ACAPS (*Assessment Capacities Project)  has published an update on the impact of Tropical Cyclone Idai in Zimbabwe KEY FINDINGS : It is estimated that 270,000 people have been affected in nine districts, mainly in Chimanimani (115,000) and Chipinge (122,000) districts, Manicaland province. As of 25 March, more than 180 people have been killed, 170 injured … More Cyclone Idai Update: 270,000 People Affected in Zimbabwe

Official Death Toll Now 44 In Flood Struck Iran

Search and rescue work is underway in several Iranian provinces as flash floods have struck 25 out of Iran’s 31 provinces in recent days.  The situation is getting better in some areas as torrential rains have let up and water levels have subsided. Aid operations are also in full swing to reach out to flood-stricken … More Official Death Toll Now 44 In Flood Struck Iran